Saturday, September 25, 2010

A little motor prep work

Justin and I went out this afternoon and decided to find out what the top end looked like.  Seeing all the pistons and heads on the internet that were just completely mangled, and cylinders all scraped, I was scared to see what it looked like.

Well I was pleasantly surprised too see this:


and this...


All in all I was impressed with the condition of both, the piston has some carbon buildup on it, but it and the walls are in great shape.




Next we took out the reed valve...I'm assuming it is OEM, but the reeds look real good also.  From what I have read, the reeds should be what they look like in the pictures below.  I anyone sees something wrong with please let me know, I have never messed with reeds before.




The next thing we did was clean the HPP valves, quite dirty, but cleaned up pretty good.  Everything seems to move smoothly and there are no apparent signs of damage or anything.  Forgot to take a "dirty" picture of the right side, but got one of the left.  So here they are right (clean), left (dirty).  Cleaned them up with a toothbrush and some brake cleaner.



I guess the only thing that concerns me about the motor is in the pic below...there are some cracks in the area of the rear motor mount.  I'm not sure if they are just paint cracks or actual cracks.  What do you think?


Bearing play on the crank felt good, just a very little bit of side-to-side play, but if I tried to twist it there was nothing.  Anyone knows the correct way to check please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment